Forgot Password?

Sarah Morris

Ennis, MT

thegirlwhopaints.com

     I've spent years looking out at the endless miles of visibility in this "Last Best Place." The layered clouds in the sky, miles of rolling hills, dramatic mountain ranges, and countless points of view to experience keep our eyes dripping with pleasure. I used to obsess with what it looked like before man inhabited the west. What emotion Lewis and Clark must have felt when they first saw the wide open beauty of what I now call home. Knowing all of this pavement won't be going anywhere, I knew I had to learn to appreciate the aesthetic qualities of civilization. Many of these scenes are familiar to Montana residents. In fact many of us see these views of Montana more than we see the parts that are still left with out roads, fences, and cattle guards. As you view my art, I hope you experience the feeling of your last road trip, hike, camping trip, or even the feeling of being a Montanan, because it is a beautiful feeling to posses.

                                                                                                                                                  

Learn more on artists website.

Elevated Trek

July 26th, 2013


From prehistoric times to the frontier west, the Montana experience has always been synonymous with adventure. With so much space, you can spend a lifetime wandering and never run out of unfamiliar territory. In order to take in the vastness of the open sky, one must learn to look even further, inwardly. In these spaces you see so many different people enjoying the pitched elevation in so many different ways. One may be braving the Beartooth Highway on 1 inch-wide bicycle tires, another might be an eight year old boy fishing for the first time with his grandpa. On a well-worn hiking trail you will come upon people from every walk of life. Even after seeing beautiful Montana scenery my entire life, I am still as awestruck as I was as a child. I find myself wondering if others feel that same feeling. My mind drifts, timelessly, as I contemplate the pace of all these activities spent in the mountains. The person going 60 mph down the mountain pass has a different view than the little boy wading in the mountain river throwing flies to bait his dinner. The concentrated focus of running up a trail, ever mindful of one's footing, differs greatly from the still repose of tourists camping under the big sky for the first time. Although our own perceptions of Montana may be radically different, I think that there is a common emotional currency at work within them all. 1% of the mountain is every human moment, ecstatic and horrific, and the other 99% the timelessness that calls us into them to begin with.  My paintings are attempts to reach towards the eternal mountain, through the vivid lens of my own life's moments among them. 

Read full entry on artists website.